Masdar, Statoil collaborate for offshore wind energy storage

Norway’s Statoil and Abu Dhabi-based clean energy firm Masdar have signed a collaborative agreement to analyse data from Batwind — the integrated energy storage system designed to store the power generated by the world’s first floating offshore wind farm. Masdar holds a 25% stake in the 30MW Hywind project, which is located off the coast of Aberdeenshire, Scotland, with Statoil owning the remaining 75%. Under the terms of the agreement, the companies will buy, test and install Batwind to discover how the solution could be leveraged to improve the operational and cost efficiency of offshore wind farms. Studying Batwind’s performance under a range of conditions will generate a high level of operational data, which will permit exploration of the potential integration of battery storage solutions with wind and solar generation systems. The battery will be located at the onshore substation of Hywind Scotland and will be connected to the offshore wind farm at the grid entry point. Once installed, the battery will store power from the wind farm and send power to the grid as needed. - The IMarEST -



Register newsletter

Get to know about Nordic Chamber, our press releases and all news, straight to your inbox.